Audition to be the SAS Student Speaker
The School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) offers a truly unique and special honor to an outstanding graduating senior to address the SAS community in celebration of the 2023 graduates during our convocation ceremony.
Deadline: BEFORE MIDNIGHT FRIDAY, MARCH 31.
- Use subject line: Student Speaker 2023
- Include your name, RUID, a telephone number
Speech Draft Guidelines:
- Include a title that sufficiently conveys the tone and content of your speech (please no political or religious messages).
- Your speech should be 3-5 minutes in length(approximately 450-600 words)
- The speech should make a connection to all attendees: fellow graduates, faculty, staff, family, friends and others who have supported the efforts of the SAS Class of 2022. Please be prepared to present your speech via Zoom or in-person to the Student Speaker Selection Committee if you are chosen as a finalist.
- The Student Speaker Selection Committee will review all entries and confirm that applicants have graduated in January 2023 or are on track to graduate in May 2023.
- The committee will also seek a diverse representation of SAS students, based on clarity of ideas and adherence to the guidelines provided.
- The Convocation 2023 student speaker will be announced in April.
- Assistance with the speech and delivery will be available to the chosen student speaker.
If you are selected to be the student speaker, you will be seated on stage during the ceremony, have your name printed in the program, have your photograph taken by the event photographer, and be eligible to receive special, reserved seating for your guests.
We hope you will consider applying for the honor of presenting the Convocation 2023 student speech.