Senior Year FAQ

What is the maximum number of credits I can register for this semester?

Students can register for a maximum of 18 credits during preregistration.  Beginning on the first day of classes (during add/drop) the credit limit goes up to 20.5.

How can I take more than 20.5 credits?

A request for credit override exception is considered only when a student is in their final semester. Requests are reviewed on an individual basis, including evaluation of course composition, a full transcript review, and consideration of past performance.  

The following courses and curricular experiences are not eligible for credit overrides:

  •       Fieldwork or Practicum
  •       Research
  •       Independent Study
  •       Thesis or Capstone
  •       Internship
  •       Peer Instruction

I need fewer than 12 credits to graduate. Do I need to be a full-time student?

No! Students in their final semester are permitted to register for only what is required to complete their degree.

Click here to review the senior part-time status policy. 

How do I submit a Senior Pass/No Credit Request for one of my courses?

  • Students who have completed 90 or more credits may take up to two courses (8 credits maximum, one course per semester) on a Pass/No Credit basis.
  • The Covid 19 University wide P/NC policy ENDS as of summer 2021.
  • Applications open the week of add/drop each semester.
  • Click here for the application and further information about the Senior Pass/No Credit Request. 


Submission Deadline 

Fall Semester

September 30

Spring Semester

February 20

Six-week Summer Session

10th calendar day after class begins

Winter Session 

Cannot request pass/no credit option

Ok I’ve confirmed that I’m eligible to reduce my credit load for my final semester – now how do I drop classes?

You are not able to drop below 12 credits on webreg. Please log into LiveChat or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. from your Rutgers email with the specific course(s) and index number(s) you wish to drop.

  • If you miss the drop deadline, you will be billed for the credits, even if you withdraw from the course(s). 

I planned to graduate this semester, but now I need to take courses next semester. How can I register?

Once you officially change your graduation date, you will be able to register for the next semester:

  • You are expected to graduate once your degree requirements are complete; graduation date adjustments beyond what is needed to complete degree will be denied.

I am changing my graduation date to August because I need a summer course to complete my degree. Can I still walk in May?

August candidates who have registered and paid for all remaining degree requirements in summer session are invited to participate or “walk” in University Commencement and SAS Convocation.

How do I submit a Diploma Application?

All New Brunswick undergraduate students who anticipate finishing their degree requirements MUST apply online for graduation through the Office of the Registrar by a certain deadline. The Diploma Application allows you to specify your name, including suffixes and accents, and confirm the address to which your diploma should be mailed.

Click here for Diploma Application.

When do I submit a Diploma Application?

Students graduating in Submit diploma information:
JANUARY (end of fall/winter session) September 1 - January 15
MAY (end of spring semester) December 15 - May 15
AUGUST (end of summer session) April 1 - August 15


If you have questions about your requirements and path to Degree completion, we welcome you to email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.