Matriculated students are expected to maintain continuous enrollment throughout their degree program. However, in some cases students may need to withdraw from their entire semester due to illness, military activation, or other circumstances.

Students are required to notify the University of any departure or absence from a semester by submitting a completed Student Withdrawal form.

Students considering a withdrawal from the semester are encouraged to meet with an SAS Advisor in advance, to discuss the ways in which their academic plans, current term bill, and future eligibility for financial aid (if an aid recipient) could be affected by a semester withdrawal. However, do not miss submitting your Student Withdrawal form by the Refund Deadline while awaiting an advising appointment.

Students who take a withdraw from a semester are permitted to reenroll for future semesters by completing the free, online SAS Reenrollment form.*

*Students whose cumulative GPA is below a 2.0 may be required to attend Rutgers Summer Session prior to returning for a fall or spring semester.

**Courses taken outside of Rutgers during a leave of absence are considered transfer courses. For information on transfer course policies at SAS, please see the SAS Transfer Courses page.

Student Withdrawal Form

Tuition Refund for Withdrawal from School

  • Students who withdraw from their entire semester may be eligible for full or partial refunds, depending on the effective date of the withdrawal. The effective date is the date you submit the completed Student Withdrawal form.
  • Students may use Webreg to drop courses or cancel their entire schedule prior to the beginning of a semester and receive a 100% refund. However, once the semester begins, the online registration system will not permit students to drop their final class. To withdraw completely, students must submit the Student Withdrawal form via Scarlet Hub/One Stop.
  • Failure to attend class is not equivalent to a formal leave of absence or withdrawal, and students will not receive an adjustment of charges or grades unless a Student Withdrawal form is filed with the University.
  • Refund deadlines are posted online at