Registration blocks, or holds, prevent students from accessing the course registration system. Some blocks prevent access for a particular semester, and some blocks prevent access for all semesters. Holds may also prevent a student from obtaining an official transcript or a diploma.
There are several types of registration blocks and holds. Sometimes, a student may have more than one block at once. Here is a list of the most often applied registration blocks and holds:
- Mandatory academic advising appointment did not occur.
- Undeclared major going into the senior year.
- Trying to register for the semester after the declared graduation date.
- Dismissed and not eligible to return.
- The student took a leave of absence, withdrew, or did not attend the prior semester and did not reenroll.
- The student owes money to Rutgers (tuition, parking tickets, library fines).
- The student needs to turn in an immunization record to the health center.
- The student was found guilty of a disciplinary action through the Office of Student Conduct.
- Seniors are not permitted to register for a semester beyond their declared graduation date. If you need additional time to complete your degree requirements, change your graduation date (reclassify) at MyGradDate.
Registration blocks and holds are applied after a student has been notified about the need to do something (declare a major, pay a term bill, etc.) and should not be a surprise. Reading all notifications from Rutgers University officials and offices is an essential task for a successful student.
Even with these notifications, students often realize that they have a registration block or hold when they try to log into the registration system and receive a message that they are blocked.
At any time, a student can come in to an SAS Advising Center to inquire if they have any blocks or holds on their record.
In most cases, the student will need to do whatever they did not do which necessitated the need for the block or hold in the first place.
- For financial holds, contact Student Accounting.
- For immunization holds, contact Health Services.
- For disciplinary holds, contact the Office of Student Conduct.