Completion of a Major and Minor

Completion of Major landing

All SAS students are required to complete a major and a minor.

Exceptions to the Minor requirement

  • The requirement for a minor will be waived for students completing multiple majors, for second degree candidates, and for students completing the 5-year education program through the Graduate School of Education.
  • SAS will consider waiving the requirement of the minor for students transferring to SAS from the Rutgers School of Engineering, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers Business School-New Brunswick, or College of Nursing if at time of transfer they have amassed 18 or more credits, with a GPA of 2.0 or higher, within a specific professional school subject. 

Credit Intensive Majors

The requirement for a minor may be waived for students completing credit-intensive majors. Credit intensive majors are indicated on the List of Majors and Minors for SAS students. Students in credit intensive majors are encouraged to complete a minor, even though they are not required to do so.

When to Declare a Major and Minor

Full-time students normally declare their major in the second semester of their second year, although some majors encourage students to declare even earlier in order to facilitate the planning needed for an appropriate sequence of the courses required to complete the major within four years. Part-time students normally declare their major by the time they have completed 60 credits. Declaration is done by submitting a major/minor declaration form, available online at Some academic departments may have prerequisites and/or require approval by an advisor.

Students who have not declared their major and minor by the second semester of their third year may not be able to complete all requirements and, thus, not graduate on time.

Major and Minor Declaration and Change: myMajor

List of Majors and Minors

Students are strongly urged to consult with an academic advisor and the specific departments offering the majors they are considering during their first year at the SAS. Some majors, including many in the sciences and the world languages, require that courses be sequenced in a particular way, making planning during the first year crucial to timely completion of the major.

List of Majors and Minors

Bachelor of Arts (BA) vs. Bachelor of Science (BS)

A Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree is conferred for all majors except the following, for which a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree is awarded:

  • Astrophysics
  • Biochemistry (SEBS)
  • Ecology, Evolution, and Natural Resources
  • Evolutionary Anthropology
  • Exercise Science
  • Sport Management
  • Geological Sciences
  • Health Administration
  • Marine Sciences
  • Microbiology
  • Public Health
  • Public Policy
  • Urban Planning & Design

Either a Bachelor of Arts degree or a Bachelor of Science degree is available in the following subjects:

  • Computer Science
  • Mathematics
  • Physics.

For subjects offering both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science degree, students may not graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree, then return to complete the courses necessary for a bachelor of science degree. All courses required for the desired degree must be completed at the time of graduation.


The major and the minor may not be selected from the same academic program. In general there are no SAS restrictions on selection of available majors and minors; however, some combinations are prohibited.  Please see Major/Minor Restrictions.

Please check the requirements of the specific majors and minors you are considering.

Overlap between Major and Minor

Any credits satisfying major requirements may also satisfy minor requirements and vice versa unless specifically prohibited by the particular major or minor program.

Overlap between Major/Minor and SAS Core Curriculum

Any credits satisfying major or minor requirements may be used to satisfy the SAS Core Curriculum unless prohibited by the major or minor. Any credits satisfying the SAS Core Curriculum may count toward a major or minor unless prohibited by the major or minor.

Admission to the Major

Certain majors offered by Professional Schools at Rutgers University New Brunswick may require separate admission; these schools include:

For these majors, students should refer to the online catalog, departmental web sites, or myMajor for specific application guidelines and a listing of the courses to be completed prior to application. SAS students completing these majors will receive a single Bachelor's degree conferred by SAS in conjunction with the cognate professional school.

Professional School Applications - School to School Transfer

Prospective applicants intending to transfer to any of the professional schools at Rutgers University, including

need to refer to the section of the School to School Transfer website for the school of interest for specific application guidelines and a listing of the courses to be completed prior to application. All students should meet with an academic advisor to determine how the sequence of courses to be completed for application will affect their graduation from SAS if their application to the professional school is unsuccessful.

Change of Major or Minor

Students wishing to apply for a change of major or minor should complete the form online:

Major and Minor Declaration and Change: myMajor