Academic Review FAQs


Do temporary grades count towards my term GPA?

Temporary Grades:

TZ, NG and blank grades are not factored into the GPA for the purpose of academic standing. However, grades of TB+, TB, TC+, TC, TD, TF are computed respectively as B+, B, C+, C, D, F and students with more than one TZ, NG or blank  grade may be subject to registration restrictions.  Regardless of the assignment of any temporary grade, if the term average is below 2.00 a student will remain on the appropriate academic sanction until such time as the grade is officially changed and sufficiently improves the term average to a 2.00 or higher.

Can I withdraw from the courses I did not pass?

W grades and Retroactive Withdrawal:

Retroactive course or semester withdrawal is not a mechanism for managing poor academic performance and is strictly prohibited by SAS and University Policies. If you withdrew from the course in a timely manner and received a “W” then this is not included in your term GPA.

How can I remove myself from Academic Warning or Academic Probation?

A student’s record will be restored to Satisfactory Standing when either of the following occurs:

  1. A change of grade(s) for course work completed during the most recent semester upon which status is determined sufficiently restores the term GPA to 2.00 or higher. Please notify us of any grade changes by This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

    • Any new course work occurring after the close of a semester does not officially alter the term GPA since the determination of Academic Warning or Academic Probation is based solely on the term GPA computed for the official final grades reported.  Specifically…

      • Repeated Courses: Use of the repeated course policy to remove a grade of F or D from the cumulative GPA does not rescind Academic Warning or Academic Probation status.
      • Summer and Winter Session Courses: Although Summer and Winter session courses can often help to improve a student’s cumulative GPA, since this course work occurs after the close of the official semester it does not rescind Academic Warning or Academic Probation.
  2. Satisfactory academic performance is earned at the end of the semester in which the student was on Warning or Probation.
    • For students on Academic Warning or Academic Probation
      • during the Fall Semester, the term GPA at the end of the semester must be greater than or equal to 2.00.
      • during the Spring Semester, the term GPA at the end of the semester must be greater than or equal to 2.00 and the cumulative GPA must be greater than or equal to the standard required for the student’s designated date of graduation.

What happens if I am Suspended or Dismissal?

Be patient!  After your record is reviewed, you will be notified in writing via email and standard mail.  We know that this is a difficult time but each student inquiry prior to the completion of the Academic Review slows the speed with which we are able to notify you of your accurate status.

Read carefully and follow instructions!  Your letter will explain all of your options for continuing your studies, availability of staff advising to ensure you select the best option for you, and time lines by which you will need to make a decision about how you wish to proceed.

Speak with an SAS Academic Advisor in person!  This is the best way to ensure that you select the option that will be best for your situation and potential graduation from SAS. Information on how to schedule an appointment is here. Be sure to ask for an appointment with an SAS Academic Advisor.

Register for Rutgers Summer Session Courses As Early As Possible!  While we prefer that you be able to enjoy your summer break, the sooner you are able to enroll in course work that will help to improve your performance the more quickly you will be able to prepare for the following term effectively. 

What happens if I miss my required advising appointment?

The advising sessions are an important part of the process of getting back to good standing, as well as an opportunity to discuss problems and find paths forward. If you miss the required advising sessions you may have a Hold placed on your record preventing course registration.

Why can’t I take more than 16 credits while on Academic Warning/Probation, and what happens if I do?

Credit restrictions are a precautionary intervention to ensure that you have time to maximize your academic performance by focusing on a reasonable course load so that you can get back on track to “finish in 4”.

Except for eligible seniors (see Senior Privilege), all students on Academic Warning and Probation will be subject to a credit limit restriction not to exceed 16 credits.

If you are currently registered for more than 16 credits, you are responsible for reducing your credit load and must comply with the credit restriction policy by the last day to drop without a “W” grade.

Students who do not comply with the credit restriction deadline will have their overload reduced by a Dean and receive a “W” grade for each course the Dean designates for withdrawal. Deadlines are posted online at

Is it true that some courses do not count against my credits restriction?

Yes.  It is true that some credits do not count against this limit. Courses that provide academic or transitional support to our student’s academic experience are not counted against you for the credit restriction.  They are:

  • Writing Center
  • Academic Success Seminar
  • EOF Study Skills
  • 01:355:099  Reading for English
  • 01:355:090 Grammar for English
  • Calculus and Physics Workshops, if for zero credits
  • Workshops that accompany Precalculus 111 and 112
  • Byrne Seminars
  • First Year Interest Groups
  • Glee Club
  • Marching Band
  • Choir
  • Foundations of RA
  • 01:090:211, Career Readiness

In the case of Service Learning courses (or any others about which you are uncertain) email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Note: All other courses count including, remedial courses (algebra), labs and recitations.

What is the Senior Privilege while on Academic Warning/Probation?

Though you have not performed as well as you may have wanted to during your academic career, you have arrived upon your final year.  In recognition of this we do not want you to jeopardize your degree completion but we also do not want to be a hindrance to your timely degree completion. So with caution and optimism even though you may be on warning or probation for qualifying students we will waive the conditions and restrictions associated with your status as follows:

Senior Privilege: Students with a 2.00 or higher cum gpa and 82 or more degree credits by the fall (or 98 credits by the spring) of their final year and declared in the current graduating class year are exempted from the Credit Restriction policy and the Advising Requirement.

Students in the current graduating class year with less than a 2.00 cum gpa and fewer than 82 (or 98 by spring) degree credits are subject to a credit restriction, ARE NOT eligible for the Senior Privilege and should change theirdate of degree completion by going to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Although not required, students are always encouraged to meet with an advisor and can make an appointment to suit their schedule. Click here to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.

I don’t think I should have been placed on Warning/Probation, who do I speak to?

If you feel that your status was made in error or you are a Senior with 92 (or more) degree credits completed or there are extenuating circumstances involved, contact the Academic Standing Office via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or speak with an Academic Standing Dean.

What should I do if I want to take a break from studying?

If you find yourself in difficulty – personal, financial, medical, or emotional – and need to take a break you may consider a Leave of Absence. You can request this by completing a Leave of Absence form. Advisors can talk with you about this option. Failure to attend class is not equivalent to a Leave of Absence, and students will not receive an adjustment of charges or grades (see unless a formal Leave of Absence is filed with the SAS Office of Academic Services and approved prior to the 12th week of the semester. Students whose cumulative GPA is below a 2.00 may be required to attend Rutgers Summer Session prior to returning for a Fall or Spring semester.

Will my family be told about my Academic Warning/Probation?

A letter explaining your academic status will be sent to your email address of record from the Office of Advising and Academic Services. The letter is addressed to you, but we encourage students to discuss academic issues with family as the burden of keeping secrets can impede progress.

What happens if my GPA does not recover?

If you are not a readmitted student, you may remain on Academic Probation as as long as your cumulative GPA does not fall below the required standard for academic progress – see below. If the cumulative GPA does deteriorate to this point you may be subject to Suspension or Dismissal. Please consult the information on these statuses below. Readmitted students will be required to sit out the Spring Semester if they do not earn a 2.00 term average.